Arwen's meanderings

Hi everyone and welcome to my dinghy cruising blog about my John Welsford designed 'navigator' named Arwen. Built over three years, Arwen was launched in August 2007. She is a standing lug yawl 14' 6" in length. This blog records our dinghy cruising voyages together around the coastal waters of SW England.
Arwen has an associated YouTube channel so visit www.YouTube.com/c/plymouthwelshboy to find our most recent cruises and click subscribe.
On this blog you will find posts about dinghy cruising locations, accounts of our voyages, maintenance tips and 'How to's' ranging from rigging standing lug sails and building galley boxes to using 'anchor buddies' and creating 'pilotage notes'. I hope you find something that inspires you to get out on the water in your boat. Drop us a comment and happy sailing.
Steve and Arwen

Friday 13 November 2015

The restorative powers of

A well made cuppa. Tea! What a fantastic drink. Lovely and hot, tea bag left in for two minutes, one sugar, normally don't have any, but feeling the need this morning and hey presto! Normal good humoured, get off your backside and sort the washing out, clean up the kitchen, and do some marking, lesson prep and proof reading kids UCAS draft statements is resuming. All done in a crab like gait with a hangover like demeanour. Never mind Dylan's "keep turning left" expedition; I've got my own " can only turn right" thing going on down here in wet and windy South Devon!

Oh and I've managed to fall down the stairs, bump into a door and broken the string pull light switch in the bathroom because I grabbed it to support myself during a dizzy spell. It's going to be quite a funny day.

In the meantime, the steep drive is a death trap slide with black algae and decaying leaves; Arwen is filling up nicely with rainwater because I haven't managed to pump her out this week or replace the old tarps with the new ones; there are twenty eight logs that need cutting up in the garage to form log reindeer kits for kids to assemble and sell to raise money for charity and.................

Maybe, just maybe, I might just retreat back to bed. Some days it's just not worth getting out of bed until things have calmed down!!
My sense of humour is restored, self pity has departed.....normal service is being resumed.
Sorry about the temporary slip folks 

2 comments:

Alden Smith said...

You are quite right about the tea - tea is a great, great refreshment - something that coffee can never do - being as it is a type of food. A hard sail, a snug anchorage and a good cuppa - bliss.

steve said...

I agree. Tea is my particular tipple of choice every time.
It has rescued me when I rolled a land rover down a hill in Tanzania; climbing kili and mt Blanc; lost in a whiteout in North Wales on my home turf...the glyders......very embarrassing. On every sailing trip and criss crossing Costa rica
I love the stuff
Steve